Search This Blog

Wednesday 30 July 2014

China Glaze Secret Periwinle + Holo Topcoat Swatches

Hi guys!
So today I have for you a nice and feminine mani that I've been wanting to do ever since I saw some amazing holos in Emily de Molly's shop. She has some beautiful pastel holos, but I can't justify spending the dollars on all those polishes when I have a perfectly good holo top coat that I can use. So without further ado, I present China Glaze's Secret Periwinkle, holofied!

China Glaze's Secret Periwinkle + Gloss 'N Sparkle Holo Topcoat
CG's Secret Periwinkle is a periwinkle creme (I seem to be on a CG kick at the moment!). There is no shimmer in this polish, it's just this lovely pastel blue/purple and I think it's gorgeous! Secret Periwinkle requires at least two coats to be opaque. The first coat is rather sheer and I used a thicker second coat to even everything out. If you use thinner coats you may need three in total. I topped this off with one thin coat of Gloss 'N Sparkle's Holo Topcoat and Poshe as I used this same combination on my toes yesterday and loved it!


China Glaze's Secret Periwinkle + Holo Topcoat - Sun
As I said before I was inspired by some of the gorgeous pastel holos in Emily de Molly's shop. EdM is an Australian indie brand and the shop has just reopened (of course I made a purchase). You can find polishes as well as stamping plates and nail accessories like studs. I couldn't justify buying so much polish so I picked a favourite and will show you when it arrives! In the mean time I'll have to settle for using what I have.

China Glaze's Secret Periwinkle + Holo Topcoat - Shade
I acquired CG Secret Periwinkle from a sale on Ozsale. They frequently have CG for sale for around $5, which is pretty good as it's hard to find in Australia. I love this colour and have used it quite a bit, I think the bottle is nearly half empty now. In the shade the holo is pretty much invisible, there needs to be some form of natural light coming through to get the rainbows. So in the photo above this is petty much the color of Secret Periwinkle by itself.

China Glaze's Secret Periwinkle + Holo Topcoat - Dappled Light
When that little bit of sun comes through though, the holo comes to life! Gloss 'N sparkle's holo top coat is amazing. There's very little greying and the formula and brush combination makes thin coats really easy. I love this polish and have used it quite a bit. There's still heaps left in the bottle as you only need a tiny bit to get that holo to come through. I bought the top coat from Femme Fatale Cosmetics, but you could also get it from Gloss 'N Sparkle themselves. 

China Glaze's Secret Periwinkle + Holo Topcoat: Top - Sun, Bottom - Shade
Here's a comparison of the polish in the sun and the shade to show you how awesome the rainbow is and how little you can notice the greying. It's great. I have some nail art planned to go over this, so watch out for that! One last parting picture!

China Glaze's Secret Periwinkle + Holo Topcoat - Sun
On an unrelated note, do indie polishes seem to be getting more expensive or is it just me? I'm hardly seeing any for less than $10 now. It's sad because it makes them more difficult to justify buying and I love supporting indies.

So what do you guys think of pastel holos? Yay or nay?

Pins, Patterns and Polish








No comments:

Post a Comment